Home | Breaking News | 100 people rushed out of shops and cafes to help lift a double decker bus off trapped unicyclist
Flattened: The man's unicycle was utterly crushed by the number 212 double decker, while its owner was taken to hospital with serious injuries. (Above) Effort: The bus is lifted slightly off the ground as the commuters work to free the trapped man in Walthamstow during the evening rush hour

100 people rushed out of shops and cafes to help lift a double decker bus off trapped unicyclist

WT24 Desk

This is the amazing moment around 100 commuters came to a trapped unicyclist’s aid, lifting a double decker bus off him after a collision in east London, Mail Online reports. The dreadlocked victim, who has not been named but is thought to be in his twenties, was taken to hospital in a serious condition following the smash during rush hour yesterday. The incredible footage shows dozens of people crowding round after the man was hit by the number 212 bus on Hoe Street, Walthamstow, just before 6pm.

Heroic bystanders are seen rushing towards the 12-tonne double decker before heaving the front of the bus up into the air, freeing the stricken unicyclist.  Some of those who helped lift the bus had just moments before been dining in nearby restaurants, leaving their food behind as they dashed outside to help. The victim was this morning in a serious but stable condition in hospital.

Robin Jerrom, 34, a senior negotiator at nearby Churchill Estates, was one of the first on scene to help the unicyclist. Mr Jerrom described the victim as ‘distinctive’ and said he would often be seen wearing a scarf across his face as he rode through the neighbourhood on his unicycle. ‘It was about 5.50pm when I heard a loud bang, and looked out of the window to see someone trapped under the front wheel of a bus,’ Mr Jerrom said.

‘I ran out to help, and could see the bus driver was a little bit shocked and didn’t know what to do. We tried to get him to move it forward, but he couldn’t so we got him to stop. ‘Then more and more people came along to help move the bus, about 40-50 people. ‘Eventually he [the cyclist] managed to crawl out and was in quite a state. It’s not a sight I’m going to forget. It was a very bad injury, a quite horrific image for everyone to see.

‘You don’t know if familiarity caused him [the cyclist] to not see the situation right. You could see his leg and he was making a lot of noise. It’s always a worry when you see such a big vehicle and someone underneath it.’  Witness Kyra Sam said she walking towards Walthamstow market when she heard screams coming from the busy road.She told the London Evening Standard: ‘I’m really amazed at the strength of Walthamstow – no one hesitated to push the bus off, I was in shock.

‘Everyone really came together to help – it was really nice to see that in the face of something so awful.’ Sami Ullah, who runs a cafe near the scene of the crash, said: ‘I was standing at the till and heard a loud noise. It was a big bang – we thought it was a shotgun or something. ‘All of a sudden we saw people leaving their chairs at Turtle Bay and Pizza Express and running towards the road. We saw people actually coming out of the bus as well. Everybody was shouting and screaming.

‘Then all of the people tried to somehow move the bus a little bit.’  ‘There were so many people gathered there,’ he said. ‘There must have been about 50 to 100. They somehow managed to pull the bus away a bit. We were amazed – it was a heavy bus, a double decker. Police were here straightaway and they took over.’ Mr Ullah added that he had seen the man unicycling nearby before.

Walthamstow MP Stella Creasy praised those who helped in the rescue bid. She tweeted: ‘Walthamstow – if you were one of the 100 who helped lift the bus to rescue that poor cyclist. Just thank you. #proudmp #faithinhumanity.’ The bus driver was stopped by police but was not arrested. A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: ‘Police were called at 5.50pm to a bus in collision with a unicyclist in Hoe Street, E17.

‘The male unicyclist was taken by ambulance to an east London hospital where his condition is believed to be serious. ‘The bus – a route 212 – stopped at the scene. There has been no arrest. Roads closures are in place.’

%d bloggers like this: