Twelve people of two families including five women and three children fell sick after having poisonous food in Baluchar area of Sylhet city last night, agency reports. The victims are receiving treatment at Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College Hospital, local sources said.
Among them, two people are said to be in critical condition, Bidur Kanti Shaha, a doctor of the hospital, told this correspondent. Rafiqul Islam, a neighbour of the victims, said all members of the two families started vomiting around 12:30am after taking their dinner last night.
Neighbours took them to the hospital as they all became senseless after vomiting, Rafiqul said. Miscreants might have mixed poison with their food to commit robbery, he added.