Home | Breaking News | 2 killed in post-polls violence in 2 districts

2 killed in post-polls violence in 2 districts

WT24 Desk

Two people have been killed and 10 others injured in post-Union Parishad election violence in Habiganj and Sherpur districts, UNB reports.

In Habiganj, a teenager was killed and 10 people were injured in a clash at Narapati village of Chunarughat Sadar UP in Chunarughat upazila on Sunday evening.

The deceased was identified as Manir Hossain, 18, son of Arju Miah of Madhya Narapati village. Officer-in-charge of Chunarughat Police Station Nirmalendu Chakrabarti said the supporters of BNP-backed chairman candidate Syed Liakat Hasan brought out a procession to celebrate his victory.

When the procession reached near the house of defeated aspirant Mahbubur Rahman Chowdhury, AL-backed candidate, at Narapati village, his supporters swooped on the procession, triggering a clash.

A chase and counter-chase took place during the clash, leaving at least 11 people injured. Later, Manir succumbed to his injuries on the way to Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College Hospital.

In Sherpur, a man, who received serious injuries in a post-election violence on Saturday night at Boliadipara village under Bhelua Union in Sribardi upazila, died at Sherpur District Hospital early Sunday.

The deceased was identified as Buruj Ali, 45, son of late Abdul Halim, a resident of Boliadipara. Police and locals said a clash ensued between the supporters of two member candidates — one led by Azizul Hoque and the other led by Kalu Miah — of ward-8 over the result of the election around 10pm.

At one stage, followers of Azizul gave a tremendous thrashing to Buruj, leaving him injured. Later, he was whisked off to Sherpur District Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries on Sunday morning, said officer-in-charge of Sribardi Police Station S Alam.

Meanwhile, Hafizul Sarder, 26, son of Atiar Sarder of Atiar village in Fakirhat upazila of Bagerhat district, was hacked to death by some miscreants over establishing supremacy on Sunday afternoon.

Officer-in-charge of Fakirhat Police Station Bazlur Rahman said a group of 30-35 miscreants swooped on Hafizul in the afternoon over previous enmity.

Later, Hafizul was declared dead at hospital.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


%d bloggers like this: