More than 200 shanties were gutted on Monday as a fire broke out at three slums in Miakhanagar area under Bakolia police station in the city,UNB reports.
Kamal Uddin Chowdhury, assistant director of Chittagong Division Fire Service, said that the fire occurred in the slums around 5 am due to electric short circuit.
Eight units of firefighters from Lamar Bazar, Chandanpura and Nandankanan Fire Station rushed to the spot and doused the flame after two hours of frantic efforts. No casualty was reported after the fire incident. Locals said the extent of loss caused by the fire could go up to Tk 20 lakh.