Home | Breaking News | CROSS PARTY CALL Tony Blair could be STRIPPED of state honours this week as MPs join forces over former PM’s Iraq ‘lies’ to House
File photo dated 06/07/16 of Tony Blair, who is facing growing calls to be brought to court over his role in taking Britain to war with Iraq following the damning verdict of the Chilcot Report. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Thursday July 7, 2016. The former prime minister has been put on notice by families of dead servicemen that he may face legal action over what flowed from his decision to tell US president George Bush "I will be with you whatever" eight months before the 2003 invasion. See PA story POLITICS Chilcot. Photo credit should read: Stefan Rousseau/PA Wire

CROSS PARTY CALL Tony Blair could be STRIPPED of state honours this week as MPs join forces over former PM’s Iraq ‘lies’ to House

WT24 Desk

TONY Blair could be stripped of his state honours if MPs decide this week that he misled the House of Commons over Iraq, The Sun reports.  The embattled former Labour PM faces a vote to hold him in contempt of Parliament for not telling the whole truth about the build up to the 2003 war.

Tory grandee David Davis is joining forces with former Scotland boss Alex Salmond and 25 other MPs across parties to table a motion to censure Mr Blair. If they succeed, the government is likely to enforce a punishment on him such as stripping him of privy council membership or banning him from holding public office again.

Mr Blair was made a Privy Councillor in 1994, giving him the title of Right Honourable. The push to have a censure vote was boosted last night when leftwing Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said he “probably” back it.

Mr Davis said: “On five different grounds the House was misled, three in terms of the weapons of mass destruction, one in terms of the UN votes, and one in terms of the threat, the risks.

“He might have done one of those accidentally, but five?”  If Speaker John Bercow accepts the censure motion, it will be held on Thursday after a special two day Commons debate on last week’s damning Chilcot report.

Former Labour Deputy PM John Prescott changed his longheld view yesterday to say he now believes the US-led invasion was illegal. Lord Prescott said: “Prescott said: “I will live with the decision of going to war and its catastrophic consequences for the rest of my life”.

But Mr Blair’s former communications chief Alastair Campbell slammed Lord Prescott for the U-turn. In a dig at his affair with his secretary, Mr Campbell tweeted: “Don’t recall John Prescott raising all these concerns till now. Odd. And given how certain people stood by him in tough times”.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*