New Delhi — Police say a fire in a pharmacy engulfed residential quarters of a Mumbai suburban building, killing eight people, AP reports. A fire official says the victims were asleep and were trapped on the first floor of the building in Andheri district early Thursday.
Mumbai Police spokesman Ashok Dudhe said in addition to the eight deaths, one person was seriously injured. The blaze has been put out. The Press Trust of India news agency said the fire started when a cooking gas cylinder was believed to have exploded.