The knifeman who murdered a senior policeman and his partner recorded a video at their home, pledging allegiance to IS and pondering what to do with their three-year-old son, agencies report.
Larossi Abballa repeatedly stabbed 42-year-old Jean-Baptiste Salvaing and killed his partner, Jessica Schneider, who also worked for the police. The couple’s son, who was held hostage, was eventually found unharmed but in shock.
Prosecutors say Larossi Abballa had a hit list of high-profile targets that included police, politicians, journalists, rappers and other public figures. The list was found after the siege in Magnanville, about 35 miles (55km) west of Paris.
Police also found three telephones, three knives “and in particular a bloodied knife lying on the table”, in the house. Mr Molins said Abballa had declared allegiance to Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al Baghdadi and had threatened to kill non-believers and their families wherever they live.
Abballa made the statements in exchanges with police during a three-hour stand-off on Monday. The 12-minute video – apparently recorded inside the house after the murders – was published on Facebook to more than 100 of his friends and contacts.
He makes a series of threats with the “police all around me” and considers what to do with the couple’s three-year-old boy. Towards the end, he adds: “I finish by addressing my family … I am going to make your hearts stop, but you should know this is a noble mission. You have never understood my path … But this is the path of a prophet.”
Police have also revealed that Abballa knew the policeman he attacked. The news agency Amaq, which is linked to Islamic State, quoted an unnamed source as saying an IS fighter carried out the attack.
French authorities said they have “no reason” to doubt the claim. Mr Molins said three people, aged 27, 29 and 44, have been detained in the investigation. He did not provide any other details.
Abballa had been under wiretap surveillance since January as part of an investigation into a Syrian jihadi network. But that operation had given no clue to the upcoming attack, said Mr Molins.
Abballa was sentenced in September 2013 to two-and-a-half years in prison over his role in a jihadist group with links to Pakistan, but was freed because of time already served awaiting trial.
French President Francois Hollande said earlier it was “incontestably a terrorist act” and that France faces a threat “of a very large scale”.