Belgian authorities believe more Islamic State militants have been sent to Europe following last month’s deadly terrorist attack in Brussels, Sky News reports. The country’s threat level remains at three, which means that an attack is possible and likely.
A spokesman for the country’s crisis centre said: “There are indications that Islamic State has sent fighters to Europe and Belgium, the threat level which is currently at three will not go down.” The warning comes as it was reported IS militants are planning to target European resorts this summer in a similar fashion to last year’s beach massacre in Tunisia.
German newspaper Bild said German intelligence have been told of the plans by their Italian counterparts, who were in turn informed by a “credible source” in Africa. According to the report, the terrorists plan to pose as beach vendors and detonate bombs hidden under sun loungers, before opening fire with automatic weapons.
Earlier on Tuesday, Spanish police announced they had arrested a Moroccan man on the island resort of Palma de Mallorca who was suspected of recruiting fighters for IS. A police statement said: “The accused had close contact with established terrorists involved with Daesh (another name for IS) who are currently located in Syria.”
Last year, Spain raised its anti-terror alert level to four out of a possible five. Meanwhile, the head of the European Union’s security agency says he’s “not entirely confident” all those involved in the deadly Brussels and Paris attacks have been arrested. “That’s because we have a fragmented intelligence picture of precisely who is involved and where they are,” Europol’s Director Rob Wainwright said.
He added that he was “certainly not confident” other militant cells are not planning another attack in Europe. The Paris attack in November left 130 dead and many others injured. Last month, one of those believed to be responsible for the attack – Salah Abdeslam – was caught alive in Brussels following a four-month manhunt.
Just weeks later, police in Denmark recovered a cache of weapons and arrested four suspected IS terrorists. Sky News has revealed that members of the group were all named in the IS recruitment files that were leaked to the network in March.