Home | Breaking News | Melbourne siege a ‘terrorist incident’
Accessibility links Skip to content Accessibility Help Sign in BBC navigation News Sport Weather Shop Earth Travel More Search the BBC News navigation Home Video World selected Asia UK Business Tech Science Magazine Entertainment & Arts Health World News TV World selected Africa Australia selected Europe Latin America Middle East US & Canada Melbourne siege a 'terrorist incident' 5 hours ago From the section Australia These are external links and will open in a new window Share this with Facebook Share this with Twitter Share this with Messenger Share this with Email Share Media captionAustralian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull says the siege was "a shocking and cowardly crime" Australian police are treating as a "terrorist incident" a Melbourne siege in which a gunman was killed. Heavily armed officers arrived at an apartment building on Monday after reports of an explosion and found one man already dead in the foyer. Another man, Yacqub Khayre, was armed with a shotgun and holding a woman inside the building against her will. Khayre, 29, called a broadcaster during the siege to say he was acting in the name of the Islamic State (IS) group. A news outlet for the group claimed it had carried out the attack, but police said there was no evidence of it co-ordinating with Khayre. Three police officers suffered injuries after Khayre engaged them in a firefight in which he was shot dead. The hostage was rescued unharmed. Image copyright Reuters Image caption Yacqub Khayre at a court appearance in Melbourne in 2010 Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton said the victim who died, a building employee, was "in the wrong place at the wrong time". Gunman known to police Authorities were investigating whether Khayre, a Somali-born Australian citizen, may have lured officers to the wealthy suburb of Brighton with the aim of confronting them. Mr Ashton said comments Khayre made referencing IS and al-Qaeda had prompted the terrorism investigation. Two London attackers named by police Sydney cafe siege police 'waited too long' "We do not yet know if this was something he was really planning or whether it was just an ad hoc decision that he has made just to go off tap like this," Mr Ashton said. "They (IS) always tend to jump up and claim responsibility every time something happens," Mr Ashton said. He said Khayre had been acquitted over a foiled plot to attack a Sydney army barracks in 2009. He had "a long criminal history" and was on parole after being released from jail on a separate offence last year, Mr Ashton said. The gunman had arranged to meet the woman through an escort service before taking her hostage, he said. Residents alarmed Neighbours and people in the area described hearing loud gunfire at the scene. "Everyone just panicked," one witness, Luke Fourniotis, told the Herald Sun. "I started running but I didn't know where the shots were coming from so I had this thought: 'Are they shooting at us?' My heart was in my throat." Nearby resident Graeme Hisgrove said heavily armed police officers went through his backyard during the operation. Image copyright Getty Images Image caption Police closed surrounding streets as the incident unfolded "We were just in the front room of the house and all the rapid fire started, so we all hit the deck on the floor and just didn't know what was going on," he told the Australian Broadcasting Corp. On Tuesday, police raided a house reportedly shared by Khayre and his mother, seizing computers, other electronic devices and books. Anger over parole Prime Minster Malcolm Turnbull said the case raised "grave concerns" about the parole system which he said would be addressed. "How was this man on parole? He had a long record of violence. A very long record of violence," Mr Turnbull said. "These are important issues and Australians need to be assured that people who are a threat to their safety are not being released on parole." Mr Turnbull said Australia's official terror threat level would remain at "probable". Last month, an Australian coroner criticised a decision which allowed bail to a gunman behind Sydney's deadly cafe siege in 2014. Share this story About sharing Email Facebook Messenger Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Australia 'Green light' for huge Australia coal mine 6 June 2017 From the section Australia Full article 'Green light' for huge Australia coal mine Australia plane evacuated over toilet note 6 June 2017 From the section Australia Full article Australia plane evacuated over toilet note 'Concerns' for Australian pair in attack 5 June 2017 From the section Australia Full article 'Concerns' for Australian pair in attack More Videos from the BBC Wedge-tailed eagle captured swooping on drone Music mogul Jonathan King charged with historical sex offences The sex slaves of al-Shabab Manchester attack: Chloe Rutherford and Liam Curry confirmed dead Secret Mexican diary sheds light on Spanish Inquisition Russian explorers find 'swamp' of Soviet money Recommended by Outbrain Elsewhere on BBC BBC News Two hundred cats poisoned inside month in French village BBC News Newspaper headlines: 'How did London attacker slip through?' BBC News PM accused of 'subservience' to Trump over climate move Recommended by Outbrain You Might Also Like BBC Culture The vandalised Little Mermaid BBC Travel The ugly story behind a breakfast meat BBC Travel The island that forever changed science Top Stories Qatar backs talks to end Gulf crisis As Gulf rivals isolate Qatar and restrict airspace, the country seeks a way out of the dispute. 21 minutes ago Kurdish-led forces launch Raqqa offensive 58 minutes ago Melbourne siege a 'terrorist incident' 5 hours ago Features 'My father was kidnapped yesterday' Arundhati Roy's much-awaited second coming Video How can you pop your filter bubble? Cosby's diehard fans stick by fallen idol Video 'We were in hiding for 11 days' Trump antagonises British spymasters 1967 war: Six days that changed the Middle East Five surprising facts about Qatar How a woman from the far-right fell in love with a migrant Most Read 1 Qatar row: Calls for diplomatic talks to end Gulf crisis 2 Trump puts strain on special relationship 3 London attack: Met defends dropping inquiry into attacker 4 London attacker: Khuram Butt showed his extremist colours 5 Sir David Attenborough regrets missed family time 6 Graves exhumed in hunt for missing mother Natalie Putt 7 Melbourne siege a 'terrorist incident' 8 'Pink slime': Meat processer seeks $5.7bn in defamation case 9 Two hundred cats poisoned inside month in French village 10 Election 2017 poll tracker: How the parties compare From Around the Web This Game Can Train Your Brain to Think Strategically… Vikings Art in the Home Mansion Global Quest to Pay $6 Million to Settle Kickback… 360dx.com Theranos Settles Separate Cases With CMS… 360dx.com Sky-High Towers, Amenity-Rich Buildings Altering… Mansion Global This app gets you speaking a new language in time… Babbel Promoted content by Outbrain Ads by Google BBC News Services On your mobile On your connected tv Get news alerts Contact BBC News Explore the BBC Home News Sport Weather Shop Earth Travel Capital Culture Autos Future TV Radio CBBC CBeebies Food iWonder Bitesize Music Arts Make It Digital Taster Nature Local Terms of Use About the BBC Privacy Policy Cookies Accessibility Help Parental Guidance Contact the BBC Advertise with us Ad choices Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read about our approach to external linking.

Melbourne siege a ‘terrorist incident’

WT24 Desk

Australian police are treating as a “terrorist incident” a Melbourne siege in which a gunman was killed, BBC reports.  Heavily armed officers arrived at an apartment building on Monday after reports of an explosion and found one man already dead in the foyer.

Another man, Yacqub Khayre, was armed with a shotgun and holding a woman inside the building against her will. Khayre, 29, called a broadcaster during the siege to say he was acting in the name of the Islamic State (IS) group.

A news outlet for the group claimed it had carried out the attack, but police said there was no evidence of it co-ordinating with Khayre.

Three police officers suffered injuries after Khayre engaged them in a firefight in which he was shot dead. The hostage was rescued unharmed. Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton said the victim who died, a building employee, was “in the wrong place at the wrong time”.

Gunman known to police

Authorities were investigating whether Khayre, a Somali-born Australian citizen, may have lured officers to the wealthy suburb of Brighton with the aim of confronting them.

Mr Ashton said comments Khayre made referencing IS and al-Qaeda had prompted the terrorism investigation. “We do not yet know if this was something he was really planning or whether it was just an ad hoc decision that he has made just to go off tap like this,” Mr Ashton said.

“They (IS) always tend to jump up and claim responsibility every time something happens,” Mr Ashton said. He said Khayre had been acquitted over a foiled plot to attack a Sydney army barracks in 2009.

He had “a long criminal history” and was on parole after being released from jail on a separate offence last year, Mr Ashton said. The gunman had arranged to meet the woman through an escort service before taking her hostage, he said.

Residents alarmed

Neighbours and people in the area described hearing loud gunfire at the scene. “Everyone just panicked,” one witness, Luke Fourniotis, told the Herald Sun. “I started running but I didn’t know where the shots were coming from so I had this thought: ‘Are they shooting at us?’ My heart was in my throat.”

Nearby resident Graeme Hisgrove said heavily armed police officers went through his backyard during the operation. “We were just in the front room of the house and all the rapid fire started, so we all hit the deck on the floor and just didn’t know what was going on,” he told the Australian Broadcasting Corp.

On Tuesday, police raided a house reportedly shared by Khayre and his mother, seizing computers, other electronic devices and books.

Anger over parole

Prime Minster Malcolm Turnbull said the case raised “grave concerns” about the parole system which he said would be addressed. “How was this man on parole? He had a long record of violence. A very long record of violence,” Mr Turnbull said.

“These are important issues and Australians need to be assured that people who are a threat to their safety are not being released on parole.” Mr Turnbull said Australia’s official terror threat level would remain at “probable”.

Last month, an Australian coroner criticised a decision which allowed bail to a gunman behind Sydney’s deadly cafe siege in 2014.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

%d bloggers like this: