At least 200 shops were gutted in a devastating fire that broke out at the hawkers market in Ganginapar area of Mymensingh district town early Thursday, reports UNB.
The fire originated from electric short circuit at a shop around 6:45am and soon engulfed the adjoining shops, said the local fire service and civil defence office.
On information, eight fire fighting units rushed to the spot and extinguished the blaze after two and half hours of frantic efforts.
The fire fighters had to struggle a lot to extinguish the blaze as there were no sources of water near the market, said additional superintendent of Mymensingh police Al Amin.
Witnesses said black smoke came out from the market creating panic among people.
Valuables including shoes, clothes and cosmetics were gutted by the fire, they said.
However, no causality was reported as the shop owners and salesman went to their residence after closing all the business establishments at the dead of night.
The affected shop owners claimed that the fire gutted valuables worth of millions of taka as many traders piled up their goods-stock at the shops ahead of Eid-ul-Fitr.