THE head of the NHS has warned hospitals to prepare for indefinite strikes by junior doctors, The Sun reports. Simon Stevens also thanked staff who worked during the 48-hour all-out strike.
More than 125,000 operations and appointments were cancelled as a result of the first full walkout in NHS history earlier this week. NHS England chief exec Mr Stevens warned the dispute was likely to rumble on, causing more misery for patients.
In a letter, leaked to the Health Service Journal, he wrote: “It appears further industrial action is possible, including the possibility of a full and indefinite withdrawal of junior doctor labour.”
Ministers and unions refuse to back down and paramedics are threatening to join strikes. A spokesman for the British Medical Association said no decision has been made about future action.
— THE mum of a boy who killed himself after being discharged by a junior doctor on a Sunday said it showed a seven-day NHS is needed. Sandy Partridge, of Plymouth, said John, 17, who had mental health issues, “fell through the cracks of the system”.