Home | Breaking News | Oikyafront again denied permission for Sylhet rally

Oikyafront again denied permission for Sylhet rally

WT24 Desk

Jatiya Oikyafront has been denied permission again for its rescheduled public rally in the city’s Registry field on Wednesday, UNB reports.

“We didn’t give Oikyafront permission for its rally here on security grounds,” Sylhet Metropolitan Police (SMP) Commissioner Golam Kibria told UNB on Saturday evening.

Earlier in the day, a BNP delegation submitted an application to the SMP authorities around 1:20pm seeking permission for the rally.

Nearly one-and-a-half hours later, the authorities informed the delegation that the rally cannot be held for security reasons, said Sylhet district BNP president Abul Kahar Shamim.

He said Oikyafront leaders’ scheduled visit to Sylhet on Wednesday will remain unchanged though they were denied permission for the rally.

On Friday, Jatiya Oikyafront leaders at a meeting in the capital deferred its maiden public rally in Sylhet to October 24 as it was denied permission to hold the programme on October 23.

After the meeting, Gano Forum general secretary Mostafa Mohsin Montu said the Oikyafront leaders would go to Sylhet on October 24 even if they were not given permission to stage their rally.

Montu said senior Oikyafront leaders would offer fateha at the shrines of Hazrat Shahjalal (R) and Shah Paran (R) and at the grave of General MAG Osmani, the commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces during the War of Liberation, in Sylhet on October 24.

On October 13, BNP together with Dr Kama Hossain-led Jatiya Oikya Prokriya, JSD and Nagorik Oikya launched the Jatiy Oikyafront to press for their seven-point demand, including holding the next polls under a non-party administration.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*