The Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) has released a list of 262 people missing from various parts of Bangladesh in recent times, report agencies. The government had been gathering information on youths reported missing for some time, as investigations revealed a trend of such youths joining militant groups.
The five gunmen who attacked an upscale cafe in Dhaka on July 1 and killed 20 hostages had been missing for several months, according to their families. One of the Sholakia attackers, who was shot dead by police during the June 7 attack, had also been missing for the past four months.
Security agencies had recently revealed the names of 10 other missing youths. Apart from that list, fresh information is still reaching the agencies about other missing youths.
The new list of 262 people was posted on RAB’s Online Media Cell’s Facebook page around Tuesday midnight. One of them, however, has returned home very recently, said the elite force’s spokesperson Mufti Mahmud Khan.
They (261) are missing. We are not calling them militants,” he told this correspondent. “Please contact your nearest RAB battalion or camp if you can identify any of them,” the Facebook post read, while providing a phone number – 01777720050 – for direct contact.
It also sought information through the page -www.facebook.com/ rabonlinemediacell/ – or email at email@example.com. RAB Director Genral Benazir Ahmed on Monday also announced Tk 1 million reward for former militants who are willing to cooperate by providing information to law enforcers after returning to normal life.
“Their families will be provided security,” he said. Ahmed added, “A regular individual who provides information on militant activities will be rewarded Tk 500,000 and their identities will be kept confidential.”