SERIAL killer Joanna Dennehy was segregated after prison guards allegedly found a breakout plot in her diary which involved killing a female officer and using her finger prints, The Sun reports. Today the self-styled “monster” lost her battle for damages after claiming her human rights were violated when prison made her “tearful and upset”.
Dennehy, 33, – who murdered three men and stabbed two more – was seeking a taxpayer-funded pay-out for being segregated in jail. She was given a whole-life sentence after admitting the murders of Lukasz Slaboszewski, 31, Kevin Lee, 48, and 56-year-old John Chapman.
Justice Department barrister Tom Weisselberg QC told the High Court: “Dennehy was segregated because a credible escape plan involving her and two other prisoners had been uncovered. “A written plan was located in her cell with detailed plans involving killing a female officer to obtain her keys and to utilise her finger prints in order to deceive the biometric systems.
“She was placed on the escape list, which involved the wearing of an escape suit.” But Dennehy – described as “arguably the most dangerous female prisoner in custody” – claimed at London’s High Court that she has been “unfairly and unlawfully” held in segregation.
Her QC Hugh Southey QC argued at a hearing in March that it had violated her human rights and had taken a heavy toll. He said the move left her “tearful and upset”, and at times she was resuming her practice of self-harming. Dennehy is now said to be considering whether to appeal today’s decision.
Mr Southey described mum-of-two Dennehy, who was jailed in February 2014, as a “vulnerable” inmate due to her history of severe personality disorders, and episodes of self-harming. He added that the escape allegations were never properly put to Dennehy at the time and she insisted that the alleged plot was nothing more than a “doodle” found in her diary.
The police investigated the claims and “confirmed that no further action would be taken”. The Old Bailey heard how her three victims were found in ditches in and around Peterborough in 2013. Dennehy, of Orton Goldhay, Peterborough, also pleaded guilty to two counts of attempted murder in Hereford and preventing the lawful and decent burial of her murder victims.
Government lawyers had already conceded the segregation period between September 19 2013 and September 4 2015 was technically unlawful because it was not properly authorised by former justice secretary Chris Grayling. But they argued it was fair, justified and lawful due to the nature of Dennehy’s offending and the escape risk she poses.
Mr Justice Singh today ruled that her segregation since then had been “in accordance with law” and “at all material times it has been necessary and proportionate”. Dennehy “got a taste for killing” and stabbed Lukasz Slaboszewski, Falklands War veteran John Chapman and her landlord Kevin Lee to death in March 2013.
While on the run, Dennehy and an accomplice randomly attacked two dog walkers, Robin Bereza and John Rogers. Mr Rogers, knifed 40 times, died last year. Dennehy – who admitted to the psychiatrist that she was “sadistic” – is only the third woman to be given a whole-life prison term.
The others are Moors murderer Myra Hindley and House of Horrors serial killer Rose West. Following the news of her bid for a taxpayer-funded payout victim Mr Bereza, who she left for dead, said it was “disgraceful”. The retired fire service worker said in March: “It is disgraceful and hurtful that we could all be funding it. I received £1,500 compensation for a punctured lung, three broken ribs and a damaged arm.
“I don’t believe she is upset or teary at all. If she’s citing the Human Rights Convention it makes me think we should get out of Europe. The law is an ass.”