Home | Breaking News | Supermarket salmonella scare: fears of outbreak as potentially deadly chicken tikka products stripped from shelves
Chicken tikka wraps and sandwiches have been removed from shelves after food firm discovered possible salmonella contamination Getty / Alamy

Supermarket salmonella scare: fears of outbreak as potentially deadly chicken tikka products stripped from shelves

WT24 Desk

CHICKEN tikka sandwiches and wraps have been removed from major supermarkets over fears of a salmonella outbreak, The Sun reports.  Easy Eats UK, who supply to Tesco, Asda and Iceland, have recalled products after key ingredient tikka powder was thought to be contaminated. The long-life products, sold under brand-names Snacksters, Snax on the Go and Best In, sell from £1.20 across the UK.

 Easy Eats also recalled its 1kg sandwich filling packs that are used in the catering industry. Consumers were warned not to eat any purchased wraps or sandwiches and encouraged to take them back to stores for a full refund. An official statement said: “During routine testing we have detected a serious microbiological problem in an ingredient used in our Chicken Tikka products.

“Because of potential health concerns customers should not consume the affected products.”  The Food Standard Agency website added: “As a precautionary measure, Easy Eats UK Ltd is recalling various Snacksters, Snax on the Go and Best In Chicken Tikka products due to the possible presence of salmonella in the tikka powder ingredient used to manufacture these products.

“Salmonella is a bacterium that can cause food poisoning.  “If you have bought one of these products, do not eat it. Instead, return it to the store from where it was bought for a full refund.”  According to the NHS salmonella can cause symptoms including diarrhoea, stomach cramps, vomiting and fever.

It takes between 12 and 72 hours for the symptoms to appear after swallowing an infectious dose.  The NHS online website adds: “If you become seriously ill, you may need hospital care because the dehydration caused by the illness can be life-threatening.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

%d bloggers like this: