Home | Breaking News | THE TRAGEDY WORSENS Grenfell Tower fire death toll rises as police reveal 58 people presumed dead – and number ‘could still go up’
There are fears that dozens more victims will later be confirmed as investigators comb through the building. Met Police confirm at least 58 people who were in Grenfell Tower are missing and presumed dead. Specialists in a destroyed part of Grenfell Tower in Kensington, West London. Residents of Grenfell Tower met with Theresa May in Downing Street today

THE TRAGEDY WORSENS Grenfell Tower fire death toll rises as police reveal 58 people presumed dead – and number ‘could still go up’

WT24 Desk

AT least 58 people are presumed dead in the Grenfell Tower disaster — as police today warned the death toll could rise even further, The Sun reports.

It is an increase of 28 on the number of confirmed victims in Wednesday’s tower block blaze. Scotland Yard will release video and pictures from inside the burned out West London building tomorrow.

As many as 400 people were officially reported missing, with 342 people now accounted for as alive. “That number 58 may change. I really hope it won’t, but it may increase”, Commander Stuart Cundy of the Metropolitan Police warned in a press conference this afternoon.

“There may have been other people there on the night that people were not aware”. In an appeal for information, he added: “If someone was in Grenfell Tower and they did not escape and have not make it know.

“I don’t care the reason why you haven’t told us so far. I want to know and we all want to know that you are safe and well.” So far 16 bodies have been taken from the disaster site to a London mortuary.

Meanwhile, the first victim of the Grenfell Tower disaster has been formally identified as Mohammed al-Haj Ali. Earlier, survivors visited Theresa May at Number 10 after she was criticised for her response to the disaster.

And protesters marched in Whitehall demanding answers amid accusations that the cheap cladding used to spruce up the look of the block may have acted as tinder for the raging flames.

Transport for London partly suspended The Hammersmith and City and Circle tube lines over fears that parts of the charred tower block — which had 120 flats over 24-storeys — could fall off.

Civil engineering student Mohammed, 23, was on the phone to his brother Omar in the moments before he died, telling him: “I’m dying, I cannot breathe.” The pair had become seperated during the inferno, with Omar managing to escape.

Revealing his trauma, he told the BBC: “I saw the fire in the flat from outside. I was watching the flat – it was burning – and my brother was inside. “We came from Syria to be safe here, and now we’re dying.”

A petition calling on the Home Office to fast track visas for Mohammed’s grieving family to come to the UK has gathered tens of thousands of signatures.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

%d bloggers like this: