MORE than THREE MILLION Tommee Tippee children’s cups have been recalled after dozens of children fell ill because of a faulty valve, The Sun reports. US manufacturer Mayborn USA made the decision after a consumer group found more than 70 kids had been taken ill after mould built up in the Sippee Cup.
Many of the children were reported to have suffered diarrhoea and vomiting. Mayborn has not announced if it will recall its UK products. A statement from the company said: “We’d like to assure you that child health and wellbeing is at the heart of everything we do, and we’re taking the current concerns around our Sippee Cups very seriously.
“We sell millions of Sippee Cups globally but we know from recent social media posts, that some people have had problems cleaning the valve. For this we sincerely apologise and we are actively following up on any concerns raised.” The company came under fire earlier this month when a mother said her six-month-old baby choked in a shard of plastic that broke off a blender.
Furious Natalie Haake said: “He started choking visibly and was really struggling. “It was terrifying. I felt a hard piece of material in the food he’d thrown up – it was a piece of plastic.” She added: “I’m very worried that this could happen to a child who might not be as lucky as Jack.
“The machine should be pulled if there’s something wrong with it. “I would never have thought this product would be unsafe.“You would never think to look at a child’s food before feeding them after using a machine you trust to be safe.” A spokesman for Tommee Tippee said: “We’re very sorry that Natalie and her son have had this experience, and we’ve been speaking with her over the last couple of days to get more details and resolve the situation.
“Child safety is the most important part of everything we do, so we take all issues regarding the safety of our products extremely seriously. “All of our food blenders are designed and tested to ensure full compliance with all European Standards and to ensure they are safe to use.
“We sell thousands of these blenders across the UK, and they receive great reviews. However, we’re very unhappy to see the issue Natalie’s had with hers, so we’re investigating it fully.”