This distressing footage shows the dangers of plastic and the detrimental effects it can have on marine wildlife if disposed of irresponsibly, according to Mail Online. A male Olive Ridley sea turtle was discovered with a 12cm plastic straw lodged inside its nose in Costa Rican waters. A research team rescued the turtle and explained, alongside a video of the removal procedure, that they first believed the foreign object was a parasitic worm.
They then set about attempting to remove it with the limited tools at their disposal and discovered that it was in fact a straw. The team decided that a pair of pliers would be the best tool to pull the object free. In the video the group of researchers can be seen holding the sea turtle still as a man attempts to get a grip of the straw with the pliers. Blood drips from the turtle’s nose and the sea creature appears to be in a lot of pain throughout the entire ordeal.
The video maker then addresses the camera and says: ‘This is the reason we do not need plastic straws.’ Later in the clip, after much struggling, the man manages to pull the straw free and blood immediately pours from the turtle’s nose. Writing online the researchers said: ‘He obviously did not enjoy the procedure very much, but we hope that he is now able to breathe more freely.
‘We disinfected the air passageway with iodine and kept the turtle for observation before releasing him back into the wild. ‘The bleeding stopped pretty much immediately after the removal of the straw.’