Breaking News
Home | Misc. | Airstrikes hit Tripoli as Haftar steps up assault on Libyan capital

Airstrikes hit Tripoli as Haftar steps up assault on Libyan capital

Not clear whether aircraft or unmanned drones were behind strike, which follows US statement in support of Haftar

WT24 Desk

Several airstrikes and explosions shook Tripoli overnight in an escalation of an assault on the Libyan capital by the warlord Khalifa Haftar, Reuters reports.

A Reuters reporter and several residents said they saw an aircraft circling for more than 10 minutes over the city late on Saturday, and that it made a humming sound before opening fire on several areas.

An aircraft was heard again after midnight, circling for more than 10 minutes before a heavy explosion shook the ground.

It was not clear whether an aircraft or unmanned drone was behind the strike, which triggered heavy anti-aircraft fire. Residents had reported drone strikes in recent days, but there has been no confirmation and explosions heard in the city centre this time were louder than in previous days.

Residents counted several missile strikes, one of which apparently hit a military camp of forces loyal to the UN-recognised government in the Sabaa district in the south of the capital – scene of the heaviest fighting between the rival forces.

Authorities closed Tripoli’s only functioning airport, cutting air links to a city of an estimated 2.5 million residents. The airport in Misrata, a city 124 miles (200km) to the east, remained open.

Haftar’s Libyan National Army started an offensive two weeks ago but has been unable to breach the government’s southern defences.

If a drone strike was confirmed this would point to more sophisticated warfare. The LNA has so far mainly used ageing Soviet-made jets from the air force of the former dictator Muammar Gaddafi, lacking precision firepower and helicopters, according to residents and military sources.

In the past, the United Arab Emirates and Egypt have supported Haftar with airstrikes.Q&A

The airstrikes, which were also filmed by residents in video posted online, came after a day of heavy clashes in Tripoli’s southern districts, with shelling audible in the city centre.

The violence spiked after the White House said on Friday that the US president, Donald Trump, spoke by telephone with Haftar earlier in the week.

The disclosure of the call and a US statement that it “recognized Field Marshal Haftar’s significant role in fighting terrorism and securing Libya’s oil resources” has boosted the commander’s supporters and enraged his opponents.

Western powers and the Gulf have been divided over a push by Haftar’s forces to seize Tripoli, undermining calls by the United Nations for a ceasefire.

Both sides claimed progress in southern Tripoli on Saturday, but no more details were immediately available. A Reuters TV cameraman visiting the southern Khalat Furgan suburb heard heavy shelling but saw no apparent change in the frontline.

On Friday, two children were killed in shelling in southern Tripoli, residents said. The fighting has killed 227 people and wounded 1,128, the World Heath Organization said before the airstrikes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

x

Check Also

‘Using all tools against Myanmar for solution to Rohingya crisis’

Bangladesh, Canada working closely on accountability front WT24 Desk Canada on Saturday said they are ...

A locker, a chirp: How tiny clues help solve child sex cases

WT24 Desk It was the odd-looking locker handles that caught their eye. Investigators spent hours ...