BNP on Sunday said Workers Party President Rashed Khan Menon like a ‘state approver’ admitted the fact that the current government is ‘illegal as no election was held on December 30 last year’, Agencies report.
Speaking at a press conference at the party’s Nayapaltan central office, BNP Senior Joint Secretary General Ruhul Kabir Rizvi also said the government should quit and dissolve parliament if it has the ‘minimum sense of shame’ after its alliance partner approved that people could not cast votes in the general election.
“The truth has somehow got revealed. Partner of the government Rashed Khan Menon himself admitted the great fact that no election was held on December 30, 2018. He has also admitted that it’s an illegal regime,” he said.
The BNP leader said, “People are sometime forced to reveal the truth due to the prick of conscience. We don’t know his (Menon’s) objectives and goals, but he as a state approver admitted there had been vote robberies on the night of December-30.”
On Saturday, Menon at a programme in Barishal said people could not cast their votes in the December-30 polls and subsequent local body ones.
After such comments by Menon, Rizvi said the government has no moral right to keep parliament intact since its members are ‘not elected’ with people’s votes.
He said the Worker Party President also admitted that people now cannot express their opinions out of fear.
Rizvi hoped that the ruling party leaders will also reveal truth before people someday about the last national election like Menon.
He also criticised Jagannath University VC Mijanur Rahman for expressing his desire to take the charge of Jubo League, saying he has stigmatized his current prestigious post.
The BNP leader alleged that the government is now appointing its party activists as VCs ignoring the renowned educationists.
Rizvi alleged that a quarter is posting false and fabricated information opening a fake Facebook ID in the name of BNP Acting Chairman Tarique Rahman. “It’s not only regrettable, but also part of a plot. Tarique Rahman had no involvement in such information.”
Meanwhile, Jatiya Oikyafront Convener Dr Kamal Hossain on Sunday thanked Workers Party President Rashed Khan Menon, MP for what he said confirming that people could not cast their votes in the December-30 national election.
“I’m happy he (Menon) did it, even if it’s late. I’ve long been saying it (people could not cast their votes),” he said.
Dr Kamal further said, “Wherever I go I ask people whether they could cast their votes on December 30. I still didn’t get a single positive response to it, and he (Menon) has now confirmed it. That’s why I thank him.”
He came up with the remarks while talking to reporters after a meeting of Jatiya Oikyafront’s steering committee at his Motijheel chamber.
Rob alleged that the government is not following any law and the Constitution, creating an appalling situation in the country. “Neither the country nor its people are now safe.”
He said they will start collecting mass signatures at home and abroad soon protesting the murder of Buet student Abrar Fahad, and will submit those in different international organisations, including the United Nations, depicting how the government is showing ‘inhuman’ attitude to people.
Rob questioned as to why the government is only arresting some ‘small fry’ like ward commissioners sparing the big fish in the ongoing anti-corruption purge.
Apart from Rob, BNP Standing Committee Member Iqbal Hasan Mahmud Tuku, Nagorik Oikya Convener Mahmudur Rahman Manna, Gonoforum Executive President Subrata Chowdhury, General Secretary Dr Reza Kibria, and Gonoshasthya Kendra Founder Dr Zafrullah Chowdhury were, among others, present at the meeting held with Dr Kamal Hossain in the chair.